Problem&Solution Essay. Most appropriate structure?

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
Gelever

Problem&Solution Essay. Most appropriate structure?

Post by Gelever »

Hi, David!
This time, I wondering which P&S essay structure examiners are expecting us to stick with?
I mean there are 2 main options:
  1. 1-st para - 1 main cause+ its solution, 2-d para - another cause + its solution, both with superficial analysis on viability. Advantage: 2 causes and 2 solutions, disadvantage: - superficial look into it
  • 1-st para - 1 main cause with detailed explanations and examples, 2-d para - a most viable solution with testing it on viability? Disadvantage: only 1 cause and its solution, Advantage: - deeper analysis with examples and explanations and test on viability
Both structures tend to exceed the bottom limit of 250 words.
Which structure do examiners expect us to follow? Which structure to choose if I want to go for 7+ band?
Teacher

Re: Problem&Solution Essay. Most appropriate structure?

Post by Teacher »

Dear Gelever
Both are acceptable, and your approach will depend on the essay question. If you have a couple of problems with discrete solutions, you may want to discuss one problem and one solution in a single paragraph. If you have a number of problems with common solutions, you would probably put the problems in one paragraph and the solutions in another. There is no set formula.
Kind regards
Teacher Jill
naveed.ahmed

Post by naveed.ahmed »

As per my knowledge, examiners will not see how many problems and solutions you have given... they focus on quality of English and either you are able to explain yourself or not.

To me both looks fine, however I personally prefer second option because it will give me an opportunity to get writers attentions and use variety of words to show same thing again and again, this is an edge because you are supposed to show wide range of vocabulary.

Disclaimer: I am not an examiner, I am a student and will be attempting IELTS for the first time.
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hi Gelever,
As Jill says, there are many approaches.
Moving to Naveed's comment, the number of points can be important as candidates are required to develop ideas in order to get higher band scores. Hence, a few well-developed ideas score higher than numerous ideas that are simply introduced.
I agree with Naveed on choosing the formula that allows you to show off your best English.
All the best,
David