INTERESTING QUESTION FOR LISTENING NOTE COMPLETION

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
juaspema

INTERESTING QUESTION FOR LISTENING NOTE COMPLETION

Post by juaspema »

Dear examiner,

In several practice test, I have come across with the following situation. In the note or summary completion in any section of the listening test, the word limit given is 3. For example in the following question:

Complete the notes below using NO more than three words

25) personality questionnaires are used in _____________________ of employees by companies.

My answer was 'the selection process', but the book says 'selection process'.

I answered based on what I heard from the recording (the speaker clearly said "the selection process". My questions are: If I put the article "the" would I lose that mark, even though I'm keeping the word limit? Are there any special rule to follow in note completion?

Thank you very much for your help.
Teacher

Re: INTERESTING QUESTION FOR LISTENING NOTE COMPLETION

Post by Teacher »

Dear Juaspema
Providing you keep to the word limit (in this case, 3 words), no, you would not lose marks for including the article, especially where the speaker clearly says 'THE selection process'. If your book says 'selection process' is the answer, then the two key words are selection and process. What they should have written as the answer is (the) selection process. This is the usual convention for exam writers when the answer is counted correct with or without the word in brackets. For IELTS exams, the key is word limit.
I hope that helps!
Kind regards
Teacher Nikki
ieltsexchange.com
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: INTERESTING QUESTION FOR LISTENING NOTE COMPLETION

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

I agree with Nikki.
David
juaspema