knowing every aspect of IELTS is not helpful to get my target score

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
Neesh

knowing every aspect of IELTS is not helpful to get my target score

Post by Neesh »

Dear David,
I have taken IELTS 3 times and always scored 6.5. once I got 7 in writing and again I got 6 in writing. I have worked as an IELTS instructor, so I know all the strategies for all the modules individually and as a whole. But these all the strategies are not working out for me. Even my students who had caliber of getting 6-6.5, could score 7-7.5 after my teaching and I am not able to score. I don`t know why is this the case!!! Now I am going to take exam on 10 th of october and I have to score each module 7 for my admission to graduate school in USA. Last 3 times i took exam in India but this time I am in USA, I am hoping to get some positive difference between these tests. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for me. looking forward to hear from you sir.

Regards,
Neesh
Last edited by Neesh on Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teacher

Re: knowing every aspect of IELTS is not helpful to get my target score

Post by Teacher »

Dear Neesh
What raw scores are you getting on Reading/Listening practice exams?
Can you send me a sample of your writing?
What is the highest score you have achieved in Speaking?
Teacher Jill
ieltsexchange.com
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello Neesh,
As Jill suggests, posting a sample of your writing (T1 and T2) would be helpful.
David
Neesh

Post by Neesh »

Dear Jill and David,
Thank you so much for your swift replies. Surely I will post my writing task 1 and 2. I have one more confusion that I have GRE exam and IELTS exam in the same week and I have to prepare simultaneously for both these exams, so I was wondering if these two exams have any positive effect on each other or negative in the light of the preparation.

Kind regards,
Neesh
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hi Neesh,
Good luck with both tests! I'd say that the vocabulary and grammar should be common to both, but I'm not very familiar with GRE.
David
Teacher

Post by Teacher »

Dear Neesh
Preparing for GRE at the same time could cause confusion with NOT GIVEN questions in Reading, and possibly with Writing. GRE is not a test of English competency, so it is trying to gauge different skills, such as analytical reasoning, critical thinking and so on.
Kind regards
Teacher Jill
ieltsexchange.com
Neesh

Post by Neesh »

Teacher Jill and David Sir,
Thank you for your answers. Yeah David Sir, vocabulary is helping me in both the preparations. Teacher Jill thank you for giving in detail description for my question it is really helpful and I will practice a lot to stay away from these confusions. I wanted to inform you about my raw scores in Reading and listening which you asked me in previous text. Well, I am getting 38-39 or sometimes 40 in listening and 33-39 in reading. In the actual exams that I took previously I have always scored 7.5 bands in listening and 6 bands in reading.

Best,
Neesh