Explanation about Listening answers

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
aasher

Explanation about Listening answers

Post by aasher »

I am doing Cambride IELTS book sets and encountered a problem.

A question asks to write no more than 2 words in a paragraph blank filling section . I write two words including the exact answer, but the given answer for the question has one word. For example, My answer is "sports bags", but the given answer in answers is "bags". Then, is my answer is still valid or considered as incorrect ? What will happen in the real exam? Does it depends on the examiner who checks my paper ?
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: Explanation about Listening answers

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hi Aasher,
Great question! I cannot give you a definitive answer for every single situation, but here are some guidelines.

First, check the question paper. Does it say (for example)
a) The woman bought a sports ...
or b) The woman bought a ...

In the case of a) if you write 'sports bag' it is clearly wrong, because the whole sentence will read 'The woman bought a sports sports bag'.
However, if the speaker/text does specifically say 'sports bag' then this will be acceptable in the case of b).

The answer sheets given to listening and reading markers are more specific than those illustrated in the Cambridge IELTS series (purple and black covers).

If you have any other examples or can tell me which Cambridge test it is from, I'd be happy to provide more info.

All the best,
David
aasher

Post by aasher »

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your explanation.
I would present an example which has the same in IELTS Cambridge test books.
The question is in Cambridge 9, test 4, section 3, question 26. (page 84)
This question asks to write no more than 3 words.
How did the students do their practical sessions?

My answer is "In small groups".

Transcript (page 149 ) also shows that the text is " We did these in small groups"
Answer keys (page 158) says, answer is "groups".
Is my answer is wrong? Or still valid ?

Dear sir, another question if you can explain please....
Is it advisable to write an answer (meaningful or which heard as it is from recording ) having maximum word count which the question asks to write for an answer ?
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hi aasher,
Recently I did this test with my students and I think that the words 'in' and 'small' are acceptable. As you say, the transcript says this and there is no problem grammatically.
Generally, my advice is to keep answers short in order to avoid problems.
Thank you!
David