My ielts result got witheld

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
Sandeep007

My ielts result got witheld

Post by Sandeep007 »

Dear ielts network

My name is sandeep and i had given my ielts exam on 8 august 2015 . According to normal procedure my result had to declared on 21 august but somehow i did not receive my result even after one month of my exam date . when i called british council they told me that due to quality analysis your result has been withheld by Cambridge university. I want to ask you that is it is a normal procedure or there is something to worry? And after how much time i would receive my result . Please reply as soon as u can .
Hoping for quick reply
Yours sincerely
Sandeep singh
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: My ielts result got witheld

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hi Sandeep,
This is not a common situation, but it seems that the BC is following standard procedure.
There are several reasons why this could happen, including the following (and I have no idea which it could be or if it is for another reason!) ...
1. They suspect you of cheating. They have to demonstrate this (i.e. you do not need to show you are innocent)
2. They suspect that cheating took place at the centre on that test date (easy to check because many candidates will have results withheld)
3. There was a technical problem during the test, e.g. during listening
4. The test centre staff made errors which could affect scores
5. The examiner made errors during your interview which could affect your score
6. They have lost all/part of your test. You will be offered a free retest in this case.
7. There is a wide discrepancy between your scores on different parts of the test.
8. There is an issue with your ID or your application form

As I said, I have no idea which or these, if any, it could be.
All the best,
David
ifras

Post by ifras »

i am facing the same issue. they did not tell any time. some people says they do it if you have good band in all test except the one. so they analyze your result. For example if u get 7.5 to 8 in reading ,listening and speaking but scored 5.5 or 6 in writing ,they will analyze the results once again and thn declare it. is that true???
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hi ifras,
Yes, that is true, but it shouldn't delay the result. It is conducted locally very soon after the test result is entered into the computer system.
David