Reading - Problematic answer with [Not Given]

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
glassiko

Reading - Problematic answer with [Not Given]

Post by glassiko »

Hello all,

I have the following text from a passage:
Four times as many junior-age children are driven to school in Britain as in Germany, because of road dangers.
Question: Does the following statement agree with the information given in the passage?
More German children go to school by car than British children
  • True
  • False
  • Not Given
My answer is Not Given, because in the original text only "junior-age children" are mentioned, while the answer implies children in general. According to my logic you can't answer this question because you need to guess whether the rest of the German children (not only juniors) get to school by bicycle or driven by car.

In fact, the correct answer (according to my study-book) is [False].

Could you please give your opinion on the correct answer to this question?

Thanks in advance,
Yury
drsid

Re: Reading - Problematic answer with [Not Given]

Post by drsid »

Yes. I agree with you to some extent.

But important thing to remember is that there are no 'trick questions' in the ielts reading passage . Maybe they must have mentioned juniors and children as the same in different areas of the passage

You should write 'not given' if they ask about the data regarding countries apart from Germany or Britain... Or if they ask about how many teenagers or adults commute to their place of study (?college)

Sometimes answer keys may also be wrong. So, try not to get stressed on one wrong answer. Best wishes.
glassiko

Re: Reading - Problematic answer with [Not Given]

Post by glassiko »

Thank you for your reply.
I will try to follow your advice regarding the questions with [NOT GIVEN] answer.