compare and rephrase sentences

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
Marilety2013

compare and rephrase sentences

Post by Marilety2013 »

Hello!

I am interested in knowing whether there is a resource (online/offline) allowing to compare and rephrase, for example, band 6 sentences into band 8/9 sentence. I would basically know how to express the same concept by using a higher-score vocabulary and sentence structure.

Thank you for your kind attention!

Marilety2013
Gelever

Re: compare and rephrase sentences

Post by Gelever »

Hi, Marilety!
I suppose such the resource does not exist. Writing 9-band sentences is more like art rather than a formalized process applicable to be used in any computer program.
However, we can memorize and copy the best samples of sentences from the literature (newspapers, magazines, science reports, etc.). I've heard more than once that such the strategy is the best one to score 7+ in IELTS. Our task is to identify those great sentences and learn them by heart (50-75 would be enough I estimate). Then you can mix these learned patterns with your own sentences to produce paragraphs, provided your overall English level is good enough.
Here is one example of a great 9-band sentence from Cambridge IELTS 10:
On the social side, older children may become targets of envy from classmates, if they are perceived as having far more possessions than their peers.
I believe that an average English learner would never write like that. He/she would produce something like this:
However, older children who have a lot more toys to play with may make other pupils feel envy.
So, the solution for people whose native tongue is different from English is to learn this pattern by heart and try to use it in your essays to impress your examiner.

P.S. So, here we can collect interesting patterns occurring in English literature and share it with others to make the process more interesting
Marilety2013

Re: compare and rephrase sentences

Post by Marilety2013 »

Hi Gelever,

Thank you very much indeed for your inspiring answer!

Yes, it is definitely how you say, and I am going to start to study as you suggest.

All the best.