False reports in GT essays

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
Gelever

False reports in GT essays

Post by Gelever »

Hi, David!
Is it acceptable to set some false figures as examples to highlight the importance of a problem.
I mean something like that:
For example, a research conducted by CSSS showed that households worldwide lose in average 20% of family budgets due to ladies trying to purchase garments in style.
I actually have no idea if CSSS organization really ever conducted such the research. Alas, this is only my guess)
Or:
For instance, it is estimated that 15% schoolchildren in China are under distracting influence of fashion, due to which their performance at schools worsens.
Again, here I've written something feasible but I suppose it has never been put into figures in reality.

My main reason to write like that is to increase my overall score by making my essays look more 'academically'.
My full essays are here:
http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5523

Please, give me your advice if I can use such the devices to embellish my essay in the exam hall?
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: False reports in GT essays

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello again, Gelever,
There are no rules regarding this, so my basic answer is 'go ahead'. However, do be a little careful! I think that the examples you gave are reasonable, but I have seen essays where they are less so and it often makes the arguments confusing. Moreover, if your arguments cannot stand up without dubious or made up stats, are they really such strong points?
All the best,
David