Help with my reading

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
laraibadil

Help with my reading

Post by laraibadil »

It's third time I appeared in ielts GT exams. I require 7 band in each module but unfortunately I could not get required band in reading. In every attempt I got just 6 band, though I managed to get 7 in each in listening, writing and speaking.

Please give me some useful tips to get an improvement.

Adil
Anto

Re: Help with my reading

Post by Anto »

I'm not an examiner (obv), but I usually get around 8-8,5 in my readings (Academic, not General, but I did try a few General exercises as well), so here are some tips:
-underline, underline, underline. Skim and search, especially when you have names and dates, first in the question, then in the text. Use colored pens and pencils if it suits you.
-Also, for the ones with key words (especially the headings), underline words in headings and see which headings have a lot of those words (particular words, names). Then, be very, very careful to things like "an example of X" because there should be just one paragraph with that. Key words are... key :))) If those fail, check which headings CAN'T be, then compare what possibilities you have left.
-As you do the exercises, remember that the answers to the questions are found in that order so, if you got to the last part of a section, there usually isn't a certain need to go back to the beginning. Try to remember where you left off. Also, from what I've seen, there are usually no more than 2 questions per paragraph.
-Yes, no, not given is the trickiest. Again, the underline technique should help you to locate the info. For NG, try to turn the info you were given on all possible "sides" and see if it is said. Even if something is IMPLIED, it is still not GIVEN. Directly given, as in super obvious. Make sure you don't miss something and believe it is not given, though.
-As for the fill-in-the-blank answers, as you read a paragraph, as importance, there are certain nouns that jump out at you, especially terms that are being defined in the text. Example: the X type of paper will be issued if Y happens. Those might be useful, not just exposition, but the main points, where something is being described. Imagine you yourself are taking notes in a lecture or something, writing only the essentials. Look for those. In a lesson, you should be able to pinpoint the words that are unfamiliar, that are the main ideas of the lecture and that are new. THOSE are important.
-As for A, B, C questions, use the elimination technique. Start with the ones that definitely aren't right and ponder over the others carefully. Also, in these, be careful with adjectives and adverbs used. They usually change the entire meaning. Ex: 'fair dismissal' and 'constructive dismissal' are close as meaning, but look for nuances. Check what it said about the dismissal and underline the adverbs, adjectives, even verbs related. (That's an example from an online test)

All in all, the main idea is that you should ignore details, see the basics and observe the new, less common words. Those are very, VERY likely to be points of interest. Skim, underline, look for less common words, search key words.
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: Help with my reading

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

This is very good advice!
atharva

Re: Help with my writing. Hi David.. m Atharva.I am from India. I need your help regarding the writing section.

Post by atharva »

David.IELTS.Examiner wrote:This is very good advice!