IELTS writing question - VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE HELP -

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
Anto

IELTS writing question - VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE HELP -

Post by Anto »

Hello! I have a question.

So, I was aiming for a band 8 for the written part but, because I was very nervous, I made a stupid mistake: I wrote 30 millionS instead of million (task 1). Problem is, I wrote it that way for all figures in the graph. It was my one and only mistake, but it was a repeated one, same mistake over and over.

How much do you think they could penalize me for this? And, overall, what would be the impact of this on my general band mark for writing?

Ah, one more thing... For the singular band mark (writing/speaking/listening/reading) and for the general band mark as well, do they round it up or down?
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: IELTS writing question - VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE HELP -

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hi Anto,
Assuming that it's your only mistake, I would say that band 8 is achievable. The added 's' counts as a grammar mistake and does not affect the other 3 scores.
To achieve a band score, you must FULLY achieve the requirements of that particular level, so I think you can say that scores are rounded down.
David