Wrist Watch allowed in Exam?

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
wrs

Wrist Watch allowed in Exam?

Post by wrs »

Hi,

Is it allowed to wear a "simple" digital wrist watch (not smartwatch) during the exam? I am quite keen on time keeping for the reading section and anticipate to have one.

If not, does it depend on the exam center? like some may allow and some may not? One of my friend recently took test in London West Hammaersmith College, they didn't allowed. And whats more, they didn't had a wall clock hanging on the wall. There were only just time announcements at 20min,4omin and 10min before exam end? Is this the case everywhere?

Thanks for your comments.
Gelever

Re: Wrist Watch allowed in Exam?

Post by Gelever »

Hi, wrs!
The British Council web site http://www.britishcouncil.org.np/exam/ielts says that:
PLEASE NOTE: WRIST WATCHES ARE NOT ALLOWED INSIDE THE EXAM HALL INCLUDING DURING YOUR SPEAKING TEST.
Alas.

Anyway, I'd like David to confirm that and suggest if there are any other chances to trace the time while working on Reading and Writing sections (electronic or mechanic stopwatches or something?), because y'know I'm finding this essential to finish all the tasks in time. If I'm still wearing simple wristwatches, will I be fined or given a sort of penalty (perhaps expelled)? :? Or an IELTS administrator will just ask to take them off and leave on his/her table?
Thank you for answers.
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hi Gelever,
My understanding, having checked this with people at the BC and IDP, is that wrist watches are not permitted. The penalty is death :twisted: ... er ... sorry, I mean "being expelled".
However, the lack of a clock in the room is a concern. IELTS regulations clearly state that such a clock must be in the room and positioned reasonably so that all candidates can see it.
Many years ago, invigilators would often write the start and finish times on a black/white board if possible, so that all candidates could clearly see how long they had remaining.
The announcements regarding how much time is left should be internationally standardised :roll: but they do change from time to time. I am in favour of a 1 or 2 minute warning for reading and writing.
In the speaking test, administrators are supposed to check that the candidate doesn't have a wrist watch, but ...
Hope that's clear enough.
David
wrs

Post by wrs »

Many Thanks for you responses Gelever and David!

This clarifies.