Differences Between Writing Task 2 General + Academic Topics + Answer Structures

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
OnlineEnglishTeacher

Differences Between Writing Task 2 General + Academic Topics + Answer Structures

Post by OnlineEnglishTeacher »

Hello IELTS Examiner David - a great opportunity to ask someone with your background - interested to hear your comments - thank you, Philip.
Free Ebook For IELTS Tips

Skype IELTS Teacher (All Sections) - Try For $1 / Also, IELTS Writing Correction (Upload): $1 Demo - Skype ID = "ieltsonlineenglishteacher"
terry3218

Re: Differences Between Writing Task 2 General + Academic Topics + Answer Structures

Post by terry3218 »

I'm also curious about it. Let's hope some examiner shares insights on this soon
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: Differences Between Writing Task 2 General + Academic Topics + Answer Structures

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello!
There's really very little difference from the examiner's point of view. The General questions are somewhat easier and usually have a shorter rubric compared to the Academic ones. The biggest difference is that the Academic questions almost always require the candidate to examine the question(s) from more than one perspective, whilst General questions often do not require this.
All the best,
David
OnlineEnglishTeacher

Post by OnlineEnglishTeacher »

David.IELTS.Examiner wrote:Hello!
There's really very little difference from the examiner's point of view. The General questions are somewhat easier and usually have a shorter rubric compared to the Academic ones. The biggest difference is that the Academic questions almost always require the candidate to examine the question(s) from more than one perspective, whilst General questions often do not require this.
All the best,
David
Hello David,

Great - by "rubric", you mean the number of words in the question? And from two perspectives, I assume you mean "benefits and negatives" etc., vs just "benefits"?

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... ish/rubric

All the best,

Philip
Free Ebook For IELTS Tips

Skype IELTS Teacher (All Sections) - Try For $1 / Also, IELTS Writing Correction (Upload): $1 Demo - Skype ID = "ieltsonlineenglishteacher"
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

That's correct.

Candidates should also remember to change words in the rubric using synonyms whenever possible (e.g. 'advantages' to 'benefits' and vice versa).

I have some General candidates on my courses and I always recommend that they look at the issue presented in Task 2 from both sides, even though this may not be required. It never hurts to give the examiner a little extra! :lol: