Need clarification on devloping ideas in task2

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
meenago

Need clarification on devloping ideas in task2

Post by meenago »

Please clarify , for band 7 or 8 while developing idea ..

For some question it's seems fine to generalize, while some questions i really have doubt.
For example , What do you think of people who spend a lot of money on things which are unnecessary when many people in the world have nothing to eat ?

do I need to think in narrow band on a topic and restrict to people or a nation or worldwide in generality and my examples should be personal or more general ?

In such question , should I restrict to some people , weddings or branded clothes etc Or I can give elaborate on how politicians spending money extravagantly on tours or organizing useless events at international level while such money could have spend on development of other needed infrastructure or things for poor class .

Same way, I come across other question on how effective to recognize one's personality by looking at their cloths ?

Hope I am able to express my doubt.
Please help.
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: Need clarification on devloping ideas in task2

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello!

I think that you'll be just fine! Anyone who, like you, is already thinking about this is on the right track.

The issues presented are rarely simple and clear cut, so looking at them from different perspectives is vital. As you correctly point out, if the question says 'things which are unnecessary', ask 'What do you mean by unnecessary?' A computer is absolutely necessary for my work and I consider a beer after work necessary for my mental health, but tell that to kid in Syria who is being bombed and shot at and doesn't know where her next meal is coming from.

The more thinking, the better! Good for you and if you need any more help, I'll be glad to do what I can.

All the best,
David