What do you do when you have no idea or whatsoever for writing topics?

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
NewAgeEnglish

What do you do when you have no idea or whatsoever for writing topics?

Post by NewAgeEnglish »

Hello people, can anybody share some tips about quickly developing ideas for argument essays? :?: :?: :?:
When you get the topic and you go OMG! I cannot care less about this topic! Pro or con, either way doesn't bother me at all!
What will you do?
I think one of the most important things is don't get stunned and do nothing. Forget about it and start writing. But what should I write?
FastTrackIELTS

Re: What do you do when you have no idea or whatsoever for writing topics?

Post by FastTrackIELTS »

Thank you for your questions. Many of our students benefit from these three pieces of advice.

1. Write from your life.
If your exam question asks for an opinion on a topic, give your honest answer. If your question is:

In some countries, young people are encouraged to work or travel for a year between finishing high school and starting university studies. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages for young people who decide to do this.

Then what ARE your views on this topic? Draw on your own experience. Has anybody you know travelled between high school and university? Did you have these opportunities and how would your life be different if you had? What experiences do you think these travellers would have and how do you think it would impact their lives?

2. The same topics are usually discussed.
The topics usually discussed are health, education, the environment, public transport, young people, globalisation, crime, technology and the government. Spend some time readings previous IELTS essays and articles online (the BBC is a great resource!) and form opinions on these topics. You'll always be prepared because you'll have thought of it before!

3. Plan ahead.
Before writing anything, spend a minute or two noting down as many words as you can related to the topic. If you're asked about health you may think of: doctors, nurses, hospitals, diseases, medicine... From here, you have a fantastic base to build your answers from.

We hope this helps NewAgeEnglish! If you have any other questions then be sure to let us know!
EXPERT IELTS WRITING TASK 1 & TASK 2 CORRECTIONS
WWW.PASSMYIELTS.COM/IELTS-WRITING
NewAgeEnglish

Post by NewAgeEnglish »

Thank you so much for your advice, FastTrackIELTS.

I couldn't agree more, especially on your first point. It feels magical when you say to connect myself with the topic. To put myself within the situation, what would I like to do, what would I like to say about the topic. Thank you so very much. I couldn't wait to try this in my writing!

Also many thanks for the most frequent topics. I will spend some time to think through them in these few days, will try the strategy of making plan as well.
sebastian

Post by sebastian »

Great answer.

What I usually recommend is to quickly think in threes: three points (usually a main one and two subsidiary ideas), each with a pro and a con which you can discuss also in threes (point, counterpoint, conclusion).
'It's OK to just want more.' - Mark Hoppus