Please help me decide which IELTS test that I should take

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
kevinsetiadi

Please help me decide which IELTS test that I should take

Post by kevinsetiadi »

Hi everyone,

I am an Indonesian guy living in Indonesia. I graduated from The University of Queensland, Australia in 2013.

I took an Academic IELTS in 2011 in order to satisfy the requirements for university. I got the following results after 1 test:

Reading: 8.5
Listening: 8
Writing: 6.5
Speaking: 6
Overall: 7.5

I'm considering to apply for skilled migration visa at the moment (189 - Permanent Residence). After calculating my points, I need 8 in each band. They said I only need to take the General Training module, but I am under the impression that Academic IELTS will be accepted too. This means I can choose which module that I can take. I want to take the module that can give me the best chance to get 8 in each band. Should I take General Training (people said it's easier, but the assessment is stricter) or stick to Academic (I sit in an Academic test before)? Any advice will be appreciated.
DJvj

Re: Please help me decide which IELTS test that I should take

Post by DJvj »

If it's for the PR then you need to go through the GT module , academic scores are not being considered.
kevinsetiadi

Post by kevinsetiadi »

from the Australian immigration website:
The IELTS has an academic test and a general training test. You need only take the general training test unless your assessing authority tells you otherwise. You only need to provide the test report form (TRF) number or the test registration number that is on your English language test certificate. Your English language test results must be no older than three years immediately before the day on which you were invited to apply for your visa application.
Not sure how to interpret this. I think if they only accept General Training, they would have worded it like this:

You must take the general training test unless your assessing authority tells you otherwise.
DJvj

Post by DJvj »

Right , it states that you need to take GT unless someone asked you to take other one . Generally for PR you need to take the GT test as per my knowledge goes .
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

General Training is slightly easier (reading and writing). Speaking and listening are exactly the same as Academic. The scoring is as strict as with Academic in all 4 skills.
David
kevinsetiadi

Post by kevinsetiadi »

David.IELTS.Examiner wrote:General Training is slightly easier (reading and writing). Speaking and listening are exactly the same as Academic. The scoring is as strict as with Academic in all 4 skills.
David
This is the answer I'm looking for. Thanks!