Listening multiple choice question.

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
jesus

Listening multiple choice question.

Post by jesus »

What is the best way to approach Listening multiple choice question ??
Bella3x

Re: Listening multiple choice question.

Post by Bella3x »

Stay focused and do not panic. We usually tend to lose our focus when we get nervous/panic. So to do this, you need to do more Listening mock exams. By that, you will gain more confidence.
Luma7

Post by Luma7 »

I think the best way is to underline the keyword in each choice, then when you listen you will easily exclude other choices and find your answer. And dont choose the first thing you hear because sometimes they mention something then say the correct choice.
L8 R7 (W6) S7
Saturday 16th of may
L 8 R 7.5 WRITING 7.5 S 7.5
Thanks to Ryan's writing blog :)
jesus

Post by jesus »

Bella3x wrote:Stay focused and do not panic. We usually tend to lose our focus when we get nervous/panic. So to do this, you need to do more Listening mock exams. By that, you will gain more confidence.
Ok friend thanks for your advice. I lose my track while listening for the meaning of the question and
reading the options at the same time.
jesus

Post by jesus »

Luma7 wrote:I think the best way is to underline the keyword in each choice, then when you listen you will easily exclude other choices and find your answer. And dont choose the first thing you hear because sometimes they mention something then say the correct choice.
Ok friend thanks for your advice. I lose my track while listening for the meaning of the question and
reading the options at the same time.
IAAO

Post by IAAO »

Hi Jesus ,

This was my difficult part though . I can give you this advice and it worked perfectly with me . When you are given a time to look over the questions , read just the questions without answers and underline the key words ( this especially n part 3 . In part 2 it is usually clear with short answers , so you can go over the questions with answers together ) . When the listening starts , write notes of the main words that you've heared for every question and focus to understand the meaning of their general saying . In the 30 seconds at the end try to go over the answers to choose them . Start with the most unclear and difficult because you may forget to recall it at the end of the exam .
Any question in part 3 has multiple short answers like time or place for example . You can answer it at the time while you hear the tape , this will save you time to concentrate on the others .
A the 10 min in the end , most of listening answers should be known . So , after you transfers your answers , you will most likely have some time to back to this section again and to read it in details .
remz.anil

Post by remz.anil »

I will be having my LRW exams tomorrow. I am really confused about the band calculation in listening. Someone told me that the band score calculation is different for academic and general. I am doing general. plz help me how much score i need to get for general ielts listening for the band 7.5. I look forward to hearing from you soon...
jesus

Post by jesus »

IAAO wrote:Hi Jesus ,

This was my difficult part though . I can give you this advice and it worked perfectly with me . When you are given a time to look over the questions , read just the questions without answers and underline the key words ( this especially n part 3 . In part 2 it is usually clear with short answers , so you can go over the questions with answers together ) . When the listening starts , write notes of the main words that you've heared for every question and focus to understand the meaning of their general saying . In the 30 seconds at the end try to go over the answers to choose them . Start with the most unclear and difficult because you may forget to recall it at the end of the exam .
Any question in part 3 has multiple short answers like time or place for example . You can answer it at the time while you hear the tape , this will save you time to concentrate on the others .
A the 10 min in the end , most of listening answers should be known . So , after you transfers your answers , you will most likely have some time to back to this section again and to read it in details .
Thanks very much.
jesus

Post by jesus »

remz.anil wrote:I will be having my LRW exams tomorrow. I am really confused about the band calculation in listening. Someone told me that the band score calculation is different for academic and general. I am doing general. plz help me how much score i need to get for general ielts listening for the band 7.5. I look forward to hearing from you soon...
I suppose you have probably received your real band score.
josephcom

Post by josephcom »

IAAO wrote:Hi Jesus ,

Absolutely interesting! Because I've been trying to get 8 in listening for a year and the only barrier between me and my dreams has been this "multiple choice questions". I've tried a billion different strategie; but at the end of the day, the only one that my experiences proved more effective was what IAAO just explained. I mean, by "try and error", I've come to this same strategy too. Thanks for sharing it with us...