Doubts with my performance

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
kesi

Doubts with my performance

Post by kesi »

Dear friends, I would like to clarify certain doubts regarding IELTS writing and speaking. I had taken my IELTS academic module on 16th of May 2015. Previously I had taken IELTS GT in 2013,and have achieved the following bands: L-8.5/R-8.5/W-6.5/S-7=7.5.

This year I took IELTS academic to get resisted with Canadian nursing council. I need R-6.5/W-7/S-7/L-7.5. I am sure about my listening and reading. I did well in those parts. From my previous experience I assume that I am weak in academic writing.

In my speaking, I did well in my section 1, but was little confused as the examiner rushed up with questions, she started asking before I have completed my answers. IN section 2, I received a topic on an 'eduction series I have watched'. I talked well but at the end I ran out of content and used some sounds like 'ahh/umm' at least twice before ending my speech. In section 3,topics were pretty dry,based on T.V and advertisements. However,I managed talking fluently. But, I feel like I spoke very fast,may be I was nervous. But, I used quiet a variety of less common words. SO,my question is will those hesitations I had during the section 2, i.e, the sounds I made, will affect my band badly? I need band 7.

In my writing, I got an easy topic in both the tasks. I have achieved the task response in both,especially task 2. My queries are,I wrote 160-170 words only in task1. And, I made two spelling errors in both the tasks,i.e, one in each ( respondent- respondant; Alleviate- aelivate). Besides that, I assume I have progressed logically in paragraphs and have not made any major mistakes in punctuations or grammar.

So,depending upon the information I have given here, please suggest me how badly will the mistakes I have done would affect me? I cannot afford taking up another IELTS, as I need 7 in both speaking and writing.

I thank you in advance for the valuable help you are doing for me.

Thanks a lot.
Last edited by kesi on Fri May 22, 2015 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
IAAO

Re: DOubtson my performance

Post by IAAO »

Hi Kesi ,
From my two trails experiences , I can say that you can easily achieve band 7 in speaking if you did part 3 very well .
The main point is that the examiners want to know if you can respond and understand any words they say .

My first test ielts , I answered first section very badly since I was so nervous and I made many mistakes in relating to grammars . However , I answered part 2 with little hesitation and repeating for the same ideas because I found my self answered all the questions and I didn't know what to say more .
In the last part , I became very relaxed and I responded to the questions correctly and I tried to show the examiners that I understood fully the questions . So , and I achieved 7 .

On the other hand , my second test was the worst because I was sick on the test day . I didn't answer part two completely and when I realised that I missed important points I became nervous and I didn't respond to any questions after that in part 3 . I just kept repeating the questions without giving answers with hesitation .
And I scored 6 .

My advice in writing I was improved from score 5.5 to 6.5 .
My first time , many mistakes in relating to grammar .
I didn't achieved the required number of words in task 1.
Task two , I I didn't develop the ideas ,just rephrasing the same sentences .

My second test ,
I achieved the required words in both tasks .
I wrote logically .
Honestly , I ran out of time I didn't check my spelling and grammars . But I am sure there were about 5-6 errors at least because I have never written until now any error free topic .

So , if you are confident about your mistakes , I can say you will most likely score 7 in writing . It is not that difficult so far .

Best of luck
kesi

Re: DOubtson my performance

Post by kesi »

Hey, thanks for your reply. I am pretty sure that I wrote at least 165 words in my task 1 and have used alternative words and no much repetitions. And in the task 2, i wrote something near 280 words. Task 1,as you know in May 16, we did not have much options to enlarge the comparison( I felt so). In task 2,I have used a variety of sentences,not just complex one.I have tried my best to use a central thesis topic in each paragraphs,and have attempted using different words. Besides that, this time I have used a number of linking words to progress with the explanation of my point,which I did not do in my last attempt. Keeping fingers crossed. I am really scared this time!!! :cry: :?
kesi

Re: Doubts with my performance

Post by kesi »

Finally, I have got 7 in my writing and 7 in my speaking. Phew!
L-8.0
R-7.5
W-7.0
S-7.0
O-7.5