Questions to anyone

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
Mohammed

Questions to anyone

Post by Mohammed »

Hello everyone and Ryan,

I have some questions about essay structure.I wonder if i am following right stucture for essays.Currently, I am writing my essays according to following essay structure:

1)For and against(discussion) essay:

A "for and against" essay is a formal piece of writing in which a topic is considered from opposing points of view. You should present both sides in a fair way by discussing them objectively and in equal detail. A good essay of this type should consist of:

a) an introductory paragraph in which you clearly state the topic to be discussed, without giving your opinion;
b) a main body in which the points for and against along with your justifications, examples or reasons are presented in separate paragraphs; and
c) a closing paragraph in which you state your opinion or give a balanced consid¬eration of the topic.

Note: Opinion words (I think, I believe, In my opinion, etc.) can only be used in the closing paragraph where you give your opinion on the topic.

2)Opinion essay:

Opinion Essays

An opinion essay is a formal piece of writing. It requires your opinion on a topic, which must be stated clearly, giving various viewpoints on the topic supported by reasons and/or examples. You should also include the opposing viewpoint in another paragraph.

A successful opinion essay should have:
a) an introductory paragraph in which you state the topic and your opinion.
b) a main body which consists of several paragraphs, each presenting a separate viewpoint supported by reasons. You also include a paragraph presenting the opposing viewpoint and reason why you think it is an unconvincing viewpoint; and a
c) conclusion in which you restate your opinion using different words.

3)Essays suggesting solution to problems:

Essays suggesting solutions to problems, in which the problem(s) associated with a particular issue or situation are analysed and possible solutions are put forward, together with any expected results/consequences. The writer's opinion may be mentioned, directly or indirectly, in the introduction and/or conclusion.

An essay discussing problems and suggesting solutions is a formal piece of writing. You should state the problem and its causes clearly, then present your suggestions and the expected results or consequences these might have
A successful essay of this type should consist of:
a) an introductory paragraph in which you clearly state the problem, what has caused it, and the consequences.
b) a main body in which you present several suggested solutions, each in a separate paragraph together with its consequences/results and
c) a conclusion in which you summarise your opinion.

Please note that I am a self-studying candidate and need some help in writing and please tell me if I am in wrong direction.

Thank you for your time and consideration.