Presenting your position (essay)

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
Samat

Presenting your position (essay)

Post by Samat »

The IELTS writing task 2 descriptors say "presents a clear position throughout the response" for a band 7.
As far as I understood that, I have to make it clear which side of the argument I am on right from the beginning (that is, from the thesis in the introduction) of the essay till the end.

So, my question is how should I present my position if I get a cause and solution essay (or the other similar types of an essay). I couldn't understand what am I supposed to present my position on, if the question is not asking which side of the argument I am on. Should I just say like "i believe X and Y are good ways of solving the problem". Will this be considered as presenting your position?

If you can help, please, post a reply.
Ryan

Re: Presenting your position (essay)

Post by Ryan »

Samat wrote:The IELTS writing task 2 descriptors say "presents a clear position throughout the response" for a band 7.
As far as I understood that, I have to make it clear which side of the argument I am on right from the beginning (that is, from the thesis in the introduction) of the essay till the end.

So, my question is how should I present my position if I get a cause and solution essay (or the other similar types of an essay). I couldn't understand what am I supposed to present my position on, if the question is not asking which side of the argument I am on. Should I just say like "i believe X and Y are good ways of solving the problem". Will this be considered as presenting your position?

If you can help, please, post a reply.
Hi Samat,

Excuse the delay.

Your assumptions regarding structure are correct. Although cause and effect essays can be structured in a discussion format, stating a position in the introduction and then supporting it through the remainder of the essay is also possible.

Let's take this essay question as an example:

Global warming is a pressing problem in the world today. What are the causes? What solutions can you suggest?

Here, you could state your claim and create an outline for your essay by writing: "It is argued the rise of motor vehicle usage and the lack of recycling programs in many countries act as the main causes of global warming. The proposed solutions of solar technology and increased awareness will be analyzed for viability."

These lines would be upheld by supporting paragraphs that deliver tangible evidence illustrating (1) your proposed causes in action and (2) why your proposed solutions are viable.

Hope that helps.
Samat

Post by Samat »

Now I understand. Thank you very much.
JoanneGross

Post by JoanneGross »

As you told in above, it is a right way to choosing the structure of the essay. Since it is a cause and solution essay, you have to find out more and more causes and solutions for the essay writing about the essay topic. So you have to take more effort for writing the essay.