Write no more than two/three words and/or a number

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
Raiyan

Write no more than two/three words and/or a number

Post by Raiyan »

Folks

I am having befuddlement about these instruction and how to carry out them in the exam -

for instance one instruction "Write no more than three words and/or a number".

My understanding is I can write three words & a number OR only a number.

but one example i have seen as below, quoting from a listening module -

Condition: Write no more than three words and/or a number.

one of the answer was - 5 - 15 students

Here, I want to know how it can be a right answer because the condition was either three/less number of words & a number OR only one number can be written in the blank. In this case, is "5 - 15" considered as one number here? It appears to me "5 - 15" has two numbers and a word in it.

another bewilderment, If the answer is "5 dollars" for instance and the condition is No more than two words and/or a number then should i write only "5" or "$5" or "5 dollars" will be the correct answer? My problem is if I write 5 then I think I am not allowed to write any other thing in the blank anymore. Because the number "5" has fulfilled the condition and if I write anything else then it should be incorrect.

Any suggestion?

BR//Raiyan
OnlineEnglishTeacher

Re: Write no more than two/three words and/or a number

Post by OnlineEnglishTeacher »

Raiyan wrote:Folks

I am having befuddlement about these instruction and how to carry out them in the exam -

for instance one instruction "Write no more than three words and/or a number".

My understanding is I can write three words & a number OR only a number.

but one example i have seen as below, quoting from a listening module -

Condition: Write no more than three words and/or a number.

one of the answer was - 5 - 15 students

Here, I want to know how it can be a right answer because the condition was either three/less number of words & a number OR only one number can be written in the blank. In this case, is "5 - 15" considered as one number here? It appears to me "5 - 15" has two numbers and a word in it.

another bewilderment, If the answer is "5 dollars" for instance and the condition is No more than two words and/or a number then should i write only "5" or "$5" or "5 dollars" will be the correct answer? My problem is if I write 5 then I think I am not allowed to write any other thing in the blank anymore. Because the number "5" has fulfilled the condition and if I write anything else then it should be incorrect.

Any suggestion?

BR//Raiyan
I think you are right that 5-15 would be incorrect according to the rules - where was that?

My understanding is that "no more" is a limit and you can write for example 1 word and a number.

If anyone thinks I missed something, please let me know.

http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_inform ... ading.aspx
Free Ebook For IELTS Tips

Skype IELTS Teacher (All Sections) - Try For $1 / Also, IELTS Writing Correction (Upload): $1 Demo - Skype ID = "ieltsonlineenglishteacher"
Raiyan

Re: Write no more than two/three words and/or a number

Post by Raiyan »

Could anybody please help to demystify this?