Revaluation

Are you new to the community? Tell us about yourself and your relationship to the IELTS.
Wings

Revaluation

Post by Wings »

I attempted exam on 28 feb. I got:
L 8.5
R 7.5
W 7
S 7.5
( general test)
Just want to know 2 things. Want to go for revaluation for writing part as hope I deserve 7.5. Can they lower the score in revaluation?
malaysherasia

Re: RE: Revaluation

Post by malaysherasia »

Wings wrote:I attempted exam on 28 feb. I got:
L 8.5
R 7.5
W 7
S 7.5
( general test)
Just want to know 2 things. Want to go for revaluation for writing part as hope I deserve 7.5. Can they lower the score in revaluation?
Not sure about possibility of reduction in rating after revaluation. But what was your average score? Why you feel you need revaluation after this high score?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

ieltscharlie

Re: Revaluation

Post by ieltscharlie »

I know it's a bit late, but there may just be time to apply for a re-mark if you haven't done so already.

EDIT - I've just noticed the original post is from February 2015, not 2017! So it probably is a bit late now ;) But I'll leave my comment up in case it helps anyone else.

First of all, my understanding is that your score can be reduced in a re-mark.

But looking at your marks, even if you only got 5.5 for writing in a re-mark, you would still get an overall band score of 7.5: L 8.5 R 7.5 W 5.5 S 7.5 = average 7.25 which is rounded up to 7.5

However, if you got a 7.5 for writing, your average band score would be 7.75, which is rounded up to 8.0.

So yes, it's worth the risk. The risk of lowering your band score is far less than the chance of increasing your band score.

However, it shouldn't be a case of you thinking you "deserve" a better score, but do you "need" (or "want") a better score. Your overall score is 7.5, which is great. Do you need an 8.0? If you do, go for a re-mark.

I hope this helps!
Charles Cornelius
IELTS Coach at http://ieltscharlie.com