Is first person allowed in writing?

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
artist

Is first person allowed in writing?

Post by artist »

Hi,

I assume in letter writing first person is inevitable, but what of essay writing? Is first person okay, or must it be third person? Even if you're referring to yourself, must you do so in the third person?

Also how do we count words to make sure they're within the correct limit/length? :?:

Artist
Ryan

Re: Is first person allowed in writing?

Post by Ryan »

You may write in first person in your essay. The only issue is that you want to present an academic voice, and this is typically done by avoiding the first person. Of course, using the first person when sharing personal examples is understandable and expected.

I wouldn't count words in the exam if I were you. If you follow the structure outlined in my videos, your essay will land you at 250+ words.
OnlineEnglishTeacher

Re: Is first person allowed in writing?

Post by OnlineEnglishTeacher »

Where I am asked to give my opinion, I generally write: "In my opinion..." at least in the last paragraph.
Free Ebook For IELTS Tips

Skype IELTS Teacher (All Sections) - Try For $1 / Also, IELTS Writing Correction (Upload): $1 Demo - Skype ID = "ieltsonlineenglishteacher"