Writing Structure

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
Aqua

Writing Structure

Post by Aqua »

I just recently sit on IELTS test I just realise that I might have used the wrong structure for the question. The question was (roughly, cant remember the exact wording):

"In some countries, government pay students college or university fees, while in some countries, student pay their college or university fees.

Does the advantages of government pay the college or university fees outweigh the disadvantages. "

I have some concern in regards to this.
The way I structured my writing was like how I should do in argument essay. In my paragraph i wrote it like " ... some people argued that..."
Although, I did write in conclusion paragraph of my opinion about the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. I am in stress mind thinking that the examiner may think that I did not understand the question. Will I lose alot mark by doing it this way ?
Ryan

Re: Writing Structure

Post by Ryan »

Hi Aqua,

You're correct: the question you faced is best responded to using an argument essay structure. However, using language like "some people argue that" wouldn't be the best move, as typically these sorts of phrases refer the the opinions of other people and not your personal opinion.

Let's remain positive and assess your results when they come.
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

Hello Ryan,

Do you think how many mark will this affect the total mark. Would you be able to advise in regards to this ?

Thanks
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Hi Aqua,

I suppose it depends how pervasive this mistake was in your essay. Let's stay positive and hope for the best.
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

Helloo,

Just want update my result. I Have received the result, and I got 6.5 for the writing. Okay, its not pass, but I know that I have improved. Hope the next time I do the test, I will get 7 above !

Bye for now.
pravinbkumbhar

Post by pravinbkumbhar »

Ryan,
In this essay, if we go for argument style, we have to take either of the side while essay ask to discuss(indirectly) both advantages and disadvantages and then compare both for providing your opinion. I am consfused with this..could you give brief example here how we should address such questions..