GENERAL Task 2 question Types

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
pjs

GENERAL Task 2 question Types

Post by pjs »

Hi Ryan,
I am a new user here, and looking for some information on the types of essay for IELTS General Task 2 Writing. I have verified a lot of other videos and resources, but I am still not able to understand how to determine the type of essay.
1) If it is asked in the questions as "Do you agree or disagree" is it ok if i either agree or disagree only?, if i give an intro, 2 supporting para (for either agree or disagree) and the conclusion? Is this a discussion essay?
2) If it is asked "Discuss both the views and provide your opinion", should i discuss both the views in MY opinion and writing each opinion in 1 supporting para? Is this an argument essay?
3) What is an argument essay? Can any one give me an example?
4) What is a discussion essay (Can i say the topic from point 2 is an example for this type of essay?)
5) Is this an example of discussion essay? " What are the advantages and disadvantages of this?"
6) If nothing is specified like"your views, your opinion, what would you prefer", i can go by the discussing a general opinion or other person's opinion, right? I am not going to provide my opinion.

Kindly help me understand all of the above.

Thanks,
PJS
Ryan

Re: GENERAL Task 2 question Types

Post by Ryan »

Hi PJS,

1) Yes, you may choose to entirely AGREE or DISAGREE. If you do so, do not start analyzing both sides of the argument. This weakens your position and is a strategy that should be reserved for discussion essay questions.

2) This is not an argument essay. No, you should not be looking at YOUR views. You should be analyzing the views of others and using appropriate language to do so. Your opinion is shared at the end after the analyzing has taken place.

3 + 4) An argument essay states a position at the beginning and then provides evidence to prove that position. A discussion essay discuses the opinions of others and then concludes which position is agreed with.

5) Yes, that sort of question can fit into the discussion essay structure.

6) This honestly depends upon the instruction words in the question. If you are told to "refute" something, you need to take that position.

Good luck,
Ryan