Writing Introductions for Task 2

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
manojwilson

Writing Introductions for Task 2

Post by manojwilson »

I am confused while writing introductions as some sites say something and others something else. ielts-simon says to write 2 sentences to introduce while Ryan's e-book : a detailed introduction including Background-Detailed Background-Topic-Opinion/Outline. What would be an ideal way? Can somebody explain?
cranford cliff

Re: Writing Introductions for Task 2

Post by cranford cliff »

i strongly favour the ielt-simon approach - a very short intro , one sentence paraphrasing the topic question/description and one sentence giving your answer /opinion.
Everything you write should help you answer the question , and a lengthy background para does not do this , and cannot help you get marks (I think) because the background is assumed by or contained in the question. So , just accept the question , put it into your own words , as briefly as possible and then move on.
In academic writing, the 'position' or 'argument ' is always signalled at the beginning (otherwise it is confusing for the reader and suggests the writer is unsure of his/her opinion ), so too in the IELTS essay you should always give your answer/opinion in the introduction.
terry3218

Re: Writing Introductions for Task 2

Post by terry3218 »

cranford cliff wrote:i strongly favour the ielt-simon approach - a very short intro , one sentence paraphrasing the topic question/description and one sentence giving your answer /opinion.
Everything you write should help you answer the question , and a lengthy background para does not do this , and cannot help you get marks (I think) because the background is assumed by or contained in the question. So , just accept the question , put it into your own words , as briefly as possible and then move on.
In academic writing, the 'position' or 'argument ' is always signalled at the beginning (otherwise it is confusing for the reader and suggests the writer is unsure of his/her opinion ), so too in the IELTS essay you should always give your answer/opinion in the introduction.
Hi sorry to dig up on an old thread, but can you please state, by following simon's structure how many bands did you get in writing? of course assuming you did everything else right for example grammar, cohesion etc.
Regards