IELTS Result Re-evaluation

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
Ryan

Re: IELTS Result Re-evaluation

Post by Ryan »

Punabella wrote:Hi!

I have a same sort of situation going on.
I just received my results last Friday, and I got
L 8.5 R 8.5 W 5.5 S 8.0
I was totally confused because of the writing score.
I have been on a IELTS preparation course so I have done multiple writing exams, which were checked by my teacher. I always got a band score of 7 or more when practicing.
In the test I felt alright and this kind of a result came out of blue.
Do you think I should ask for a re-check?
But the £60 fee scares me. I'm confident in my writing and I know I do better than 5.5, but I still keep thinking if I just got carried away when writing or something. Can you help me?
A very curious case. Had you taken the exam before this attempt? If so, what was the writing score?
durai

Post by durai »

Hi Punabella,

You have such an impressing score on other ares, while considering those bands, your writing score definitely not for you, you must be at least more than 6.5 + so , go with your EOR , you may have your score bumped by 1 band, so they revert your money.

Dont worry about about 60 euro....just go for it...

I am going to send my EOR today.

Durai
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7
kulwantkaur

Post by kulwantkaur »

Hi Punabella
Your scores are highly impessive in other modules.In my opinion a 5.5 writing candidate cannot get such higher scores in other modules.You should definitely go for re-check ,I think this is the issue which must be raised by candidates getting troubles in some other way,I mean there must be some complaint dealing branch there with IELTS Headoffice.
I have applied fro re-check already and waiting for results.I dont know how would it be that was the only way to handle this Yes there are costs involved but its too irritating when you know the exam went well but scores given are opposite.If you dont mind asking me where did you appear fro exam?
Thanks
Kulwant Kaur
kulwantkaur

Post by kulwantkaur »

And I had booked test again ,this type my writing was not better than last exam,and I got 7 in writing from different exam centre/and reading 6.5.I think they keep playing tricks with candidates.I did not believe it before though when people told me but now I definitely trust them.
durai

Post by durai »

Also Punabella,

I received an email from an ex-examiner in regards to my question.

I asked about whether to apply EOR or not., and he told there may be more chance if your score in other areas are strong. IN case it is. A person cannot achieve band 8 in speaking when his writing is 5.5.

In my case, I scored band 9 in reading and 8 in listening, so he suggested me to apply for re-valuation.

Keep moving, result is yours.

All the best
Punabella

Post by Punabella »

Thanks for great answers!

I haven't ever taken the test before, and I took it in UK, Leicester.
I studied very hard and I don't want to forget about this :/
I believe that my level of writing is good enough for 6.0, but is it possible that a candidate gets very low scores if the task responce is not quite there? In my opinion, coherence and vocabulary shouldn't be the problem :/

I guess I should go for the re-evaluation.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Punabella wrote:Thanks for great answers!

I believe that my level of writing is good enough for 6.0, but is it possible that a candidate gets very low scores if the task responce is not quite there? In my opinion, coherence and vocabulary shouldn't be the problem :/

Here's a fantastic article outlining a former examiner's understanding/best guess at how the writing mark is produced: http://ielts-yasi.englishlab.net/How_th ... Scored.htm

Have you listened to my conversation with Vidit at IELTSCast.com? Vidit's writing was bumped up from 6.5 to 8.5 following the challenge. His case is very similar to yours in that his original grades were 9, 9, 6.5, 9. If you are interested, here is the interview:
http://www.ieltsielts.com/ieltscast/IEL ... eading.mp3
(If the above player isn't working, try this link: http://www.ieltsielts.com/ieltscast/IEL ... eading.mp3)
Punabella

Post by Punabella »

Ryan wrote:
Punabella wrote:Thanks for great answers!

Here's a fantastic article outlining a former examiner's understanding/best guess at how the writing mark is produced: http://ielts-yasi.englishlab.net/How_th ... Scored.htm

Have you listened to my conversation with Vidit at IELTSCast.com? Vidit's writing was bumped up from 6.5 to 8.5 following the challenge. His case is very similar to yours in that his original grades were 9, 9, 6.5, 9. If you are interested, here is the interview:
http://www.ieltsielts.com/ieltscast/IEL ... eading.mp3
(If the above player isn't working, try this link: http://www.ieltsielts.com/ieltscast/IEL ... eading.mp3)
I listened to this video before I went to my exam and tried to use all the tips they had :) I think Vidit's scores are amaizing. I have gained much more confidence for my issue and I guess that as soon as I have received the TRF I am going to challenge the mark.
My conditional offers for Unis require writing band score 6.0, but it didn't cross my mind that I would struggle to achieve it as I enjoy studying :D
Punabella

Post by Punabella »

I visited my IELTS test centre and got to hear that my writing had already been marked twice. I'm not quite sure what to do. I don't think that it is very much likely that two examiners would have marked me wrong. I can't decide!
I'm not too wealthy as I'm travelling and working with a minumum sallary as an au pair so I don't want to lose £60 for nothing :cry:
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Hi Punabella,

Why don't you create a gofundme.com campaign to receive the funds? I could include a mention of it in an upcoming newsletter I'm putting out. I'd be happy to contribute a little bit, and I am sure we can find others within the online IELTS community willing to help out.
durai

Post by durai »

Hi Punabella,

You know, all IELTS modules have been checked twice .

As you know, all listening and reading answer paper says at the bottom, " 1st examiner's initial other end "2nd examiner's initial"

Same for writing and speaking, but mistakes still happen because may be second examiner doesn't really care what was written but 1st examiner could be his/her colleague, so they may not do it with caution.

Suppose if they find mistakes with 1st examiner, then that may not be good for their career. So for the sake of their friends , 2nd examiners keep the same score.

Test centers may not worry because 5 % of their income is through re-valuation , and many of them would not like to challenge because of financial issues. That's why examiners are taking chances with the second check.

However, the above things are only my assumption and based on the communication with different ex-examiners , I looked as business and practical point of views.

If you requirement is band 8, then don't worry, but if your need is band 7, then go for it.

At the end, you only have to decide.

Anyway, Good luck.
sani092

Post by sani092 »

I want to apply Australasia university how i preparation Ielts test i want good result.
Pkhatawa

Post by Pkhatawa »

I am replying coz I have gone through similar experience twice before. In first writing attempt, I got 6.5 and in second I managed to get 7 - although I needed 8 and my consistent score in preparation tests was 8 and 8.5. In second test attempt, I had ensured everything just perfect, yet got one band less. When I reviewed the requirements for high score, I realized that I could have fallen short in vocabulary and or I might have committed couple of spelling mistakes - in haste. I talked to an experienced IELTS trainer, who said you are likely to retain the same score in re-evaluation, if I take one. For me, the cost too was scary. I am now preparing once again.
Charmy

Post by Charmy »

I took my first attempt on 6th September, and I got L 7.5 R 8.5 W 5.5 and S 6.5. I'm also thinking about a re-evaluation of my writing. I usually write well, and I don't think I deserve a 5.5. :(
pradeep87

Post by pradeep87 »

I gave the IELTS in IDP Melbourne and got the results today. I have scored overall 7.0 and individual scores are listed below.

Listing 8.0
Reading 7.0
Writing 6.0
Speaking 6.5

Is it good to do revaluation? Please share your valuable feedback.

Thanks,
Pradee
luckgill

Post by luckgill »

Hi
I had got my result on 31st October. I got
L=7, R=7, W=7.5, S=6
Overall 7
Now I'm going to revaluate my speaking score because I was anticipating 7 this time. But to my amaze,
I only got 6. I only need 0.5 more in speaking to apply for PR.
According to you guys I should go for Revaluation or not. I need prompt reply from you on this. :roll:
abhijeetg4

Post by abhijeetg4 »

Hi Guys,

I appeared for IELTS at Monash University, Clayton campus on 1-Nov-2014. I got my scores as:
L: 8
R: 7.5
W: 6.5
S: 8

I just need 0.5 in writing, should I go for re-evaluation? Thanks!

-Abhijeet
OnlineEnglishTeacher

Post by OnlineEnglishTeacher »

abhijeetg4 wrote:Hi Guys,

I appeared for IELTS at Monash University, Clayton campus on 1-Nov-2014. I got my scores as:

-Abhijeet
How do you think you did in the exam and do you have clear handwriting?
Free Ebook For IELTS Tips

Skype IELTS Teacher (All Sections) - Try For $1 / Also, IELTS Writing Correction (Upload): $1 Demo - Skype ID = "ieltsonlineenglishteacher"
luckgill

Post by luckgill »

abhijeetg4 wrote:Hi Guys,

-Abhijeet
yes you should go for it, if you feel confident about what you have written and hope for the best
OnlineEnglishTeacher

Post by OnlineEnglishTeacher »

Punabella wrote:Hi!

I have a same sort of situation going on.
I just received my results last Friday, and I got
L 8.5 R 8.5 W 5.5 S 8.0
I was totally confused because of the writing score.
I have been on a IELTS preparation course so I have done multiple writing exams, which were checked by my teacher. I always got a band score of 7 or more when practicing.
In the test I felt alright and this kind of a result came out of blue.
Do you think I should ask for a re-check?
But the £60 fee scares me. I'm confident in my writing and I know I do better than 5.5, but I still keep thinking if I just got carried away when writing or something. Can you help me?
Is your handwriting clear?
Free Ebook For IELTS Tips

Skype IELTS Teacher (All Sections) - Try For $1 / Also, IELTS Writing Correction (Upload): $1 Demo - Skype ID = "ieltsonlineenglishteacher"
asimkhan

Post by asimkhan »

out class discussion for all type of results 2015 about latest development of education like IELTS and technology introduce.
baral86

Post by baral86 »

Hi,

I have appeared for the IELTS for the first time and below are my scores.
L=8.5
R=7.5
S=7.5
W=6.5

I am targetting a Band 7 in all the four components. Should I go for a re-evaluation? Please help.

Also let me know if there is a chance of my score getting reduced after the EOR?
Rupin

Post by Rupin »

IELTS Result Re-evaluation

Hi Ryan
I got my result today and I am not happy with speaking marks. I got L 8, R 9, W 7 and S 6.5. Please suggest should I go for re-evaluation, since I need 7 in each module.
Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards
Rupin
alfacookie

Post by alfacookie »

Hi all.

I sat my IELTS this july and my scores were as follows: listening 8.5, reading 9, speaking 7.5 and writing 6.5
I checked with my local IELTS exam center and they told me that they double checked my writing so the score is accurate. Since I needed at least 7 in writing I decided to apply for a re-evaluation anyway. After waiting for about 1.5 months my writing score was changed by a whole band to 7.5
So now my scores are 8.5, 9, 7.5, 7.5. I'm happy with these results

The morale of this story. If you are truly sure that you deserve better scores, don't hesitate.
There is no point in appealing listening and reading, but writing - yes.
asfandyarali

Post by asfandyarali »

This is so unfair with candidates. This is actually blackmailing. There should be some sort of check on IELTS.