IELTS Result Re-evaluation

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
kulwantkaur

IELTS Result Re-evaluation

Post by kulwantkaur »

Hi Ryan
I got my result today and I am not happy with writing marks. I am quite confident about my writing this time,i was it worried about over -length essay (around 350 wrods),but IeltsYasi(Chris Green ) suggests that essay must be bit longer for better expression of ideas.
I got L8 R 7.5 W 6.5 and S 7.5 . I took Monash University Melbourne test. I am dead sure about my writing . Please suggest should I go for re-evaluation? What are the chances Of marks getting mended ?
Looking forward to hear from you
Regards
Kulwant
IndianHarry

Re: IELTS Result Re-evaluation

Post by IndianHarry »

If you are comfortable with bearing whatever the cost for re-evaluation is, I think you should go for it. Its not that uncommon to get band bumps after re-evaluation. Know a few friends who benefited from this. Listen to your heart and go for it.
Harry Singh Sra
Skype - harry.5abi
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Hi Kulwant,

The option for reassessment exists because grading mistakes in IELTS do happen. However, the training and protocol examiners follow when marking writing is very controlled, so the chances of grading error are small. What makes you feel your writing was inaccurately labeled band 6.5? Were you hitting band 7+ under the guidance of an instructor before you took your exam?
kulwantkaur

Post by kulwantkaur »

Hi Ryan
I had appeared for IELTS last year too,that time I was able to score 7 in that exam.I do not think my writing was that bad for 7 band,because conditions of getting bad score ,what I think is that,Under-length essay,memorized words,not addressing the issue ,not to mention the grammatical and cohesion mistakes.I addressed the issue properly and proof read my essay for mistakes.Actually I was expecting more than 7 (although I did not get trained by any instructor).
Many Thanks
kulwantkaur

Post by kulwantkaur »

IndianHarry wrote:If you are comfortable with bearing whatever the cost for re-evaluation is, I think you should go for it. Its not that uncommon to get band bumps after re-evaluation. Know a few friends who benefited from this. Listen to your heart and go for it.
Hi IndianHarry
For me the important thing is here going fro what I deserve ,I guess for that I have to bear the costs and wait for their response too.Thanks for your suggestion .
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Hi kulwantkaur,

Please update us on your situation. Have you gone ahead with the recheck?
durai

Post by durai »

HI Guys,

Just like share my experience,

I took ielts test three times at Monash university, Clayton back to 2010 just to get individual band 6, but they always put my band 5.5 in writing. I wrote exam in India within 2 weeks of that result then I got 6 on writing. Later on I was trying for individual 7 at the same Clayton centre , they always mark 6.5 in writing, because they know student's requirement and making good profit out of candidates.

basically, Monash university, Clayton sometimes do business with Ielts , so you can give it a go, but chances are minimal.

The reason is obvious. If they change your score then IELTS Australia asks series of questions to Monash English language center, so in order to escape from those hassles , they just reply with ' no change'. If money is not an issue then I would recommend to apply. Sometimes if you are lucky then you no need worry at all.

However, it's all my experience, do check with other fellow people if you like to challenge. :arrow:

Durai
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7
kulwantkaur

Post by kulwantkaur »

Thanks Durai for your feedback.I am going for recheck .Results will be updated within 6-8 weeks.
kulwantkaur

Post by kulwantkaur »

Ryan wrote:Hi kulwantkaur,

Please update us on your situation. Have you gone ahead with the recheck?
Hi Ryan
I have applied for EOR and waiting period for results is 6-8 weeks.So I would update you with my results whenever I get it.
Thanks
Punabella

Post by Punabella »

Hi!

I have a same sort of situation going on.
I just received my results last Friday, and I got
L 8.5 R 8.5 W 5.5 S 8.0
I was totally confused because of the writing score.
I have been on a IELTS preparation course so I have done multiple writing exams, which were checked by my teacher. I always got a band score of 7 or more when practicing.
In the test I felt alright and this kind of a result came out of blue.
Do you think I should ask for a re-check?
But the £60 fee scares me. I'm confident in my writing and I know I do better than 5.5, but I still keep thinking if I just got carried away when writing or something. Can you help me?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Punabella wrote:Hi!

I have a same sort of situation going on.
I just received my results last Friday, and I got
L 8.5 R 8.5 W 5.5 S 8.0
I was totally confused because of the writing score.
I have been on a IELTS preparation course so I have done multiple writing exams, which were checked by my teacher. I always got a band score of 7 or more when practicing.
In the test I felt alright and this kind of a result came out of blue.
Do you think I should ask for a re-check?
But the £60 fee scares me. I'm confident in my writing and I know I do better than 5.5, but I still keep thinking if I just got carried away when writing or something. Can you help me?
A very curious case. Had you taken the exam before this attempt? If so, what was the writing score?
durai

Post by durai »

Hi Punabella,

You have such an impressing score on other ares, while considering those bands, your writing score definitely not for you, you must be at least more than 6.5 + so , go with your EOR , you may have your score bumped by 1 band, so they revert your money.

Dont worry about about 60 euro....just go for it...

I am going to send my EOR today.

Durai
kulwantkaur

Post by kulwantkaur »

Hi Punabella
Your scores are highly impessive in other modules.In my opinion a 5.5 writing candidate cannot get such higher scores in other modules.You should definitely go for re-check ,I think this is the issue which must be raised by candidates getting troubles in some other way,I mean there must be some complaint dealing branch there with IELTS Headoffice.
I have applied fro re-check already and waiting for results.I dont know how would it be that was the only way to handle this Yes there are costs involved but its too irritating when you know the exam went well but scores given are opposite.If you dont mind asking me where did you appear fro exam?
Thanks
Kulwant Kaur
kulwantkaur

Post by kulwantkaur »

And I had booked test again ,this type my writing was not better than last exam,and I got 7 in writing from different exam centre/and reading 6.5.I think they keep playing tricks with candidates.I did not believe it before though when people told me but now I definitely trust them.
durai

Post by durai »

Also Punabella,

I received an email from an ex-examiner in regards to my question.

I asked about whether to apply EOR or not., and he told there may be more chance if your score in other areas are strong. IN case it is. A person cannot achieve band 8 in speaking when his writing is 5.5.

In my case, I scored band 9 in reading and 8 in listening, so he suggested me to apply for re-valuation.

Keep moving, result is yours.

All the best
Punabella

Post by Punabella »

Thanks for great answers!

I haven't ever taken the test before, and I took it in UK, Leicester.
I studied very hard and I don't want to forget about this :/
I believe that my level of writing is good enough for 6.0, but is it possible that a candidate gets very low scores if the task responce is not quite there? In my opinion, coherence and vocabulary shouldn't be the problem :/

I guess I should go for the re-evaluation.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Punabella wrote:Thanks for great answers!

I believe that my level of writing is good enough for 6.0, but is it possible that a candidate gets very low scores if the task responce is not quite there? In my opinion, coherence and vocabulary shouldn't be the problem :/

Here's a fantastic article outlining a former examiner's understanding/best guess at how the writing mark is produced: http://ielts-yasi.englishlab.net/How_th ... Scored.htm

Have you listened to my conversation with Vidit at IELTSCast.com? Vidit's writing was bumped up from 6.5 to 8.5 following the challenge. His case is very similar to yours in that his original grades were 9, 9, 6.5, 9. If you are interested, here is the interview:
http://www.ieltsielts.com/ieltscast/IEL ... eading.mp3
(If the above player isn't working, try this link: http://www.ieltsielts.com/ieltscast/IEL ... eading.mp3)
Punabella

Post by Punabella »

Ryan wrote:
Punabella wrote:Thanks for great answers!

Here's a fantastic article outlining a former examiner's understanding/best guess at how the writing mark is produced: http://ielts-yasi.englishlab.net/How_th ... Scored.htm

Have you listened to my conversation with Vidit at IELTSCast.com? Vidit's writing was bumped up from 6.5 to 8.5 following the challenge. His case is very similar to yours in that his original grades were 9, 9, 6.5, 9. If you are interested, here is the interview:
http://www.ieltsielts.com/ieltscast/IEL ... eading.mp3
(If the above player isn't working, try this link: http://www.ieltsielts.com/ieltscast/IEL ... eading.mp3)
I listened to this video before I went to my exam and tried to use all the tips they had :) I think Vidit's scores are amaizing. I have gained much more confidence for my issue and I guess that as soon as I have received the TRF I am going to challenge the mark.
My conditional offers for Unis require writing band score 6.0, but it didn't cross my mind that I would struggle to achieve it as I enjoy studying :D
Punabella

Post by Punabella »

I visited my IELTS test centre and got to hear that my writing had already been marked twice. I'm not quite sure what to do. I don't think that it is very much likely that two examiners would have marked me wrong. I can't decide!
I'm not too wealthy as I'm travelling and working with a minumum sallary as an au pair so I don't want to lose £60 for nothing :cry:
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Hi Punabella,

Why don't you create a gofundme.com campaign to receive the funds? I could include a mention of it in an upcoming newsletter I'm putting out. I'd be happy to contribute a little bit, and I am sure we can find others within the online IELTS community willing to help out.
durai

Post by durai »

Hi Punabella,

You know, all IELTS modules have been checked twice .

As you know, all listening and reading answer paper says at the bottom, " 1st examiner's initial other end "2nd examiner's initial"

Same for writing and speaking, but mistakes still happen because may be second examiner doesn't really care what was written but 1st examiner could be his/her colleague, so they may not do it with caution.

Suppose if they find mistakes with 1st examiner, then that may not be good for their career. So for the sake of their friends , 2nd examiners keep the same score.

Test centers may not worry because 5 % of their income is through re-valuation , and many of them would not like to challenge because of financial issues. That's why examiners are taking chances with the second check.

However, the above things are only my assumption and based on the communication with different ex-examiners , I looked as business and practical point of views.

If you requirement is band 8, then don't worry, but if your need is band 7, then go for it.

At the end, you only have to decide.

Anyway, Good luck.
sani092

Post by sani092 »

I want to apply Australasia university how i preparation Ielts test i want good result.
Pkhatawa

Post by Pkhatawa »

I am replying coz I have gone through similar experience twice before. In first writing attempt, I got 6.5 and in second I managed to get 7 - although I needed 8 and my consistent score in preparation tests was 8 and 8.5. In second test attempt, I had ensured everything just perfect, yet got one band less. When I reviewed the requirements for high score, I realized that I could have fallen short in vocabulary and or I might have committed couple of spelling mistakes - in haste. I talked to an experienced IELTS trainer, who said you are likely to retain the same score in re-evaluation, if I take one. For me, the cost too was scary. I am now preparing once again.
Charmy

Post by Charmy »

I took my first attempt on 6th September, and I got L 7.5 R 8.5 W 5.5 and S 6.5. I'm also thinking about a re-evaluation of my writing. I usually write well, and I don't think I deserve a 5.5. :(
pradeep87

Post by pradeep87 »

I gave the IELTS in IDP Melbourne and got the results today. I have scored overall 7.0 and individual scores are listed below.

Listing 8.0
Reading 7.0
Writing 6.0
Speaking 6.5

Is it good to do revaluation? Please share your valuable feedback.

Thanks,
Pradee