does the advantages outweighs the disadvantages?

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
dearjohn

Post by dearjohn »

hello everyone. I am still unsure how to respond to this type of essay question. can somebody enlighten me please?
holymanbinny

Re: does the advantages outweighs the disadvantages?

Post by holymanbinny »

Some IELTS writing task 2 questions ask: "Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?" or "Do the benefits outweigh the drawbacks?"

My advice for these questions is to write a paragraph about each side, and make it clear in the introduction and conclusion which side outweighs the other (i.e. your opinion about whether there are more advantages or disadvantages).

This was a recent exam question:

In some countries, governments are encouraging industries and businesses to move to regional areas outside the big cities.
Do the advantages of this trend outweigh the disadvantages?

Here are some ideas:

Introduce the topic by paraphrasing the statement, then give a clear opinion about whether there are more advantages or disadvantages.
Advantages - e.g. costs are lower in regional areas; there is more space; provide jobs to boost deprived areas; avoid further overcrowding in cities.
Disadvantages - e.g. greater availability of skilled workers in big cities; better transport and infrastructure; companies based in regional areas are further from their clients, providers and other contacts.
Conclude by summarising your opinion in a different way.