Writing

Do you need help using something on this site?
mhingz

Writing

Post by mhingz »

Hi Ryan,
I have been meaning to suggest with regards to the writing section but I’m not sure if it’s that much important or have major impact to other students.
Anyway, it’s good that people here in the forum post their writing essay/letter and seek advice/feedback from others however, do you think that it would help much if students will write using pen/pencil (similar to the actual examination), scan and then post here in the forum?
One reason is that handwriting pose a factor particularly on speed. In fact, when i started practicing my essay a few years ago, i realized that my handwriting was terrible and not legible due to the use of computers/keyboards for such a long time. So from that moment on, I always practice using pen/pencil even on the reading and listening and try to emulate the actual examination. Even those who have good handwriting, they still need to use/practice it to hone the handwriting skills.
What do you think?

mhingz

mhingz
04/10/2010 - Listening 7.0, Reading 5.5, Writing 6.5, Speaking 7.0
10/26/2013 - Listening 6.0, Reading 5.0, Writing 6.5, Speaking 7.5
10/05/2014 - Listening 7.5, Reading 7.0, Writing 7.0, Speaking 7.5
Ryan

Re: Writing

Post by Ryan »

Hi mhingz,

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I personally find the typed copies of IELTS Tasks easier to critique here on the forum. This is because a typed copy allows me to inject comments within the sentences and elaborate when needed. For scanned work, I am restricted to simply commenting outside the piece itself. But I think you bring up a good point when you say candidates should be ensuring they are able to compose quality work in pen/pencil under time constraints. Perhaps an idea would be to suggest people write out their work before typing and posting?
mhingz

Post by mhingz »

thanks for your reply Ryan!
yes, its advisable to write out their work first and then typing and posting if they want feedback.
Another analogy on this is the use of computer on drawings which can stain a persons ability of doing manual sketch or drawings...
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

mhingz wrote:thanks for your reply Ryan!
yes, its advisable to write out their work first and then typing and posting if they want feedback.
Another analogy on this is the use of computer on drawings which can stain a persons ability of doing manual sketch or drawings...
Yes, I completely see the merits to ensuring candidates are practicing under true exam conditions. Thanks very much for reminding everyone of this. :)
mhingz

Post by mhingz »

btw (off topic)
when are you coming to UAE?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I'm not entirely sure when my next trip will be. Perhaps sometime after Ramadan when signs of cooler whether start to reappear.