Hello everybody! IELTS tutor from the UK here!

Tell everyone about your IELTS related business.
FastTrackIELTS

Hello everybody! IELTS tutor from the UK here!

Post by FastTrackIELTS »

Last edited by FastTrackIELTS on Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXPERT IELTS WRITING TASK 1 & TASK 2 CORRECTIONS
WWW.PASSMYIELTS.COM/IELTS-WRITING
Radha muralidhar

Re: Hello everybody! IELTS tutor from the UK here!

Post by Radha muralidhar »

Hello,

Please answer my questions related to IELTS Writing Task 2:

l. Do you agree or disagree questions: It is noted that there are two ways to answer this type of question.

A) In the introduction, just state whether you fully agree or disagree and give two body paragraphs in support of your views. Then re-state your opinion in the conclusion ,paraphrasing the words. Please note: Is it necessary of mention the opposing view also?

B) In the introduction, state your opinion by fully agreeing or disagreeing.

In the first body paragraph, mention points about the view you don't support. Then, write two body paragraphs in support of your opinion. Then conclude paraphrasing the introduction lines.

Please give your clear views on addressing this type of question

2. Discuss both views and give your opinion: Is it better to give your opinion in the introduction or in the conclusion.

First, in the introduction paraphrase the question . In the first body paragraph, state one side of the issue and give points in support of the view with example. In the second body paragraph, discuss the other side and give an example. Finally, write the conclusion, and state your opinion.

Is it alright if I don't give my opinion in the introduction and mention it in the conclusion or should I mention the opinion of mine in the introduction and repeat it in the conclusion?

Thank you.

Radha Muralidhar.
FastTrackIELTS

Re: Hello everybody! IELTS tutor from the UK here!

Post by FastTrackIELTS »

Hi Radha,

Thank you very much for your excellent questions. You raise some interesting points.

1. In truth, there is no right or wrong answer here. Both methods could gain students a high band score but speaking personally, I much prefer the first method but would advise offering an opposing view.

Here is an example: "It could be argued that learning a foreign language might affect a student's studies in other areas. While it is important for students to be proficient in a wide variety of subjects, the benefits of speaking another language could unfold a number of opportunities for an indvividual that other classes simply do not provide."

This example expresses an opposing view and connects it to your own. You are giving your own opinion and mentioning an opposing view at the same time. I would personally advise to introduce the topic as you have stated and then to express your view and offer opinions in support. The marking criteria says a perfect answer "presents a fully developed position in answer to the question with relevant, fully extended and well supported ideas" and you can show this by offering arguments against your argument and then in turn offering your counter-argument. This shows the examiner you have thought about the topic from multiple angles.

Be sure to research the marking criteria to fully understand what is needed: http://www.ielts.org/pdf/uobds_writingt2.pdf

2. I would advise to offer your opinion in the closing paragraphs. Use your introductory paragraph to address the topic and then the majority of the essay would discuss the points for and against. Remember: you have a limited word count in the IELTS writing exam so it is important to not repeat yourself and use your words wisely.

I hope this helps Radha. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I also have a website that offers free feedback to your IELTS assignments.

Have a great day!

Jordan
EXPERT IELTS WRITING TASK 1 & TASK 2 CORRECTIONS
WWW.PASSMYIELTS.COM/IELTS-WRITING