Singapore Academic IELTS: Overall 8.5

Did you achieve the mark you need? Motivate others by sharing your story.
gtgw

Singapore Academic IELTS: Overall 8.5

Post by gtgw »

Hi Ryan and users,

I received my academic IELTS results today and as mentioned, scored an overall 8.5 band. I scored 9.0 bands in listening and reading. I am a Singaporean (First language: Mandarin) and took the test in Singapore. It was my first time sitting for the IELTS. It took me an entire week to prepare for this test, and I mainly relied on your free mock listening tests, as well as the British Council's 'Road to IELTS' programme.

The 'Road to IELTS' programme is pitched at a much easier level. On the other hand, your mock listening tests were tough and almost gruelling. I think a combination of both would be ideal. While the British Council's listening tests gave me the necessary confidence required to excel in the IELTS, your listening tests mentally prepared me for the toughest part of the actual listening test.

For the listening test, I wrote synonyms for some of the questions' key words during the time allocated for us to read the questions. This method proved beneficial, especially in the last part of the listening test. It was a lecture scenario and there were many questions on a single page. The method helped to make sure that I do not miss a single question by prompting my mind to look for an increased number of keywords. Also, on the question paper, I did not write complete answers. I wrote them in shorthand and this ensured minimal distraction while the clip was playing.

For the reading test, I did not follow the tips given by many sources. I neither skipped questions nor skimmed through the passages. I read them slowly and thoroughly. I think prospective candidates should practice doing a few mock reading tests and see which method suits them most. It is important to note that I am very familiar with long passages and have always excelled in reading examinations (800 for SAT critical reading, A grades for A and O Levels, 32/42 for the LNAT).

While pleased with the overall band, I was disappointed with my writing (8.0) and speaking results (7.5). My writing test question: 'Do you agree that all young people should have full-time education until the age of 18?' I wrote a balanced essay with five paragraphs. My speaking test topics were 'Relevance of culinary activities' and 'Time-management'. It was the first time I sat for a speaking test (since the O Levels); I was considerably nervous. Also, as I am not a fan of cooking, I had limited knowledge and stuttered during the test. I should have prepared more on a variety of topics beyond my comfort zone.

Good luck everyone!

Ryan, I hope this is helpful. Feel free to email me if you need any more information.
Ryan

Re: Singapore Academic IELTS: Overall 8.5

Post by Ryan »

Hi gtgw,

Thank you very much for sharing such a detailed account. You may be the first person to be "disappointed" with writing band 8.0; I admire your ambition. :)

I appreciate you sharing some of the tools you feel contributed to your success. I'd like to highlight a couple of them:
gtgw wrote:It is important to note that I am very familiar with long passages and have always excelled in reading examinations (800 for SAT critical reading, A grades for A and O Levels, 32/42 for the LNAT).
Yes, I can imagine those readings would be excellent primers for the IELTS. Please let us know if there are any online resources we can link to here.

I've heard several good things about the Road to IELTS program. For anyone interested: http://www.roadtoielts.com/

For anyone interested in my listening packs (MP3, MOV lesson and PDF paper test/transcript), you can download two of them from the following links:

Mock Listening Test Package 1

Mock Listening Test Package 4

Thanks again for the in depth recount, gtgw!
OnlineEnglishTeacher

Re: Singapore Academic IELTS: Overall 8.5

Post by OnlineEnglishTeacher »

Congratulations gtgw :-).
Free Ebook For IELTS Tips

Skype IELTS Teacher (All Sections) - Try For $1 / Also, IELTS Writing Correction (Upload): $1 Demo - Skype ID = "ieltsonlineenglishteacher"