I made it!

Did you achieve the mark you need? Motivate others by sharing your story.
Chi

I made it!

Post by Chi »

So, I got my results today. Scored 7.5 in every band except for speaking I got 7.0 - I didn't really get what I really wanted, but 7 would be acceptable as I stated on the threat "Post your IELTS goals for 2014!"

I knew I didn't do so well on the speaking part, partly because I didn't have enough sleep the night before. I was quite disoriented at the speaking section as if you can imagine one just woke up in the morning heavy headed and hadn't got out of bed yet. So, make sure you go to the test well rested. :)

I thought I did really bad on the reading though. I spent exactly 20 minutes on each passage and the last one was quite hard, and I started to panic when time was counting down in the last 10 minutes. I was tossing between whether I would read the questions and try to answer them or actually do search for the information properly. So, I answered with just skimming through the passage and mostly guessing. It might be luck that I still get 7.5 for this part. Considering that I only did one practice test for listening and reading, I am satisfied with these results.

I was quite calm in the writing section and had about 5 minutes to proofread. I must say that I owe Ryan a great deal for providing very practical strategies for essay writing.

So, I am done. I am not gonna worry about this test ever again, I guess. It's such a relief! Ayyyyy!!!!
Chi
Ryan

Re: I made it!

Post by Ryan »

Great news, Chi! I'm so happy all of your hard work paid off. I'm not at all surprised about the writing band 7.5. The pieces you've shared here clearly demonstrate your strength as a writer of English.

Yes, I can imagine how good it must feel to say "goodbye" to the IELTS forever. :D Congratulations!

I guess we won't be seeing so much of you around here. Many thanks for your contributions to the community. Good luck with your future endeavours!
OnlineEnglishTeacher

Post by OnlineEnglishTeacher »

Chi wrote:So, I got my results today. Scored 7.5 in every band except for speaking I got 7.0 - I didn't really get what I really wanted, but 7 would be acceptable as I stated on the threat "Post your IELTS goals for 2014!"

I knew I didn't do so well on the speaking part, partly because I didn't have enough sleep the night before. I was quite disoriented at the speaking section as if you can imagine one just woke up in the morning heavy headed and hadn't got out of bed yet. So, make sure you go to the test well rested. :)

I thought I did really bad on the reading though. I spent exactly 20 minutes on each passage and the last one was quite hard, and I started to panic when time was counting down in the last 10 minutes. I was tossing between whether I would read the questions and try to answer them or actually do search for the information properly. So, I answered with just skimming through the passage and mostly guessing. It might be luck that I still get 7.5 for this part. Considering that I only did one practice test for listening and reading, I am satisfied with these results.

I was quite calm in the writing section and had about 5 minutes to proofread. I must say that I owe Ryan a great deal for providing very practical strategies for essay writing.

So, I am done. I am not gonna worry about this test ever again, I guess. It's such a relief! Ayyyyy!!!!
Chi
Congratulations - I heard one time from a Skype student who also studied offline with an IELTS examiner that for maybe the reading, if many/all students got a low grade, they might increase it for everyone.
Free Ebook For IELTS Tips

Skype IELTS Teacher (All Sections) - Try For $1 / Also, IELTS Writing Correction (Upload): $1 Demo - Skype ID = "ieltsonlineenglishteacher"
Chi

Post by Chi »

Ryan wrote:Great news, Chi! I'm so happy all of your hard work paid off. I'm not at all surprised about the writing band 7.5. The pieces you've shared here clearly demonstrate your strength as a writer of English.

Yes, I can imagine how good it must feel to say "goodbye" to the IELTS forever. :D Congratulations!

I guess we won't be seeing so much of you around here. Many thanks for your contributions to the community. Good luck with your future endeavours!
Hi Ryan,

Yes, it feels so good to shovel off the IELTS. It was such a pain in the...bum! :D

Thank you so much again for everything. You might not be seeing me around as much, but I will try to log on occasionally and provide help if possible.

All the best,
Chi
Chi

Post by Chi »

OnlineEnglishTeacher wrote:
Congratulations - I heard one time from a Skype student who also studied offline with an IELTS examiner that for maybe the reading, if many/all students got a low grade, they might increase it for everyone.
Thank you, OnlineEnglishTeacher.

It's interesting to know that they actually adjust the score if many candidates got low grade. I have heard that in college, if there are too many students fail one class, the teacher would adjust the mark so the number of failed students would be reduced.
I am just wondering how does that help in gauging people's language ability? Does that mean if everyone is bad, they should be all good?
OnlineEnglishTeacher

Post by OnlineEnglishTeacher »

Chi wrote:

It's interesting to know that they actually adjust the score if many candidates got low grade. I have heard that in college, if there are too many students fail one class, the teacher would adjust the mark so the number of failed students would be reduced.
I am just wondering how does that help in gauging people's language ability? Does that mean if everyone is bad, they should be all good?
Apparently the IELTS-changing rationale was that they might have made the exam too hard.
Free Ebook For IELTS Tips

Skype IELTS Teacher (All Sections) - Try For $1 / Also, IELTS Writing Correction (Upload): $1 Demo - Skype ID = "ieltsonlineenglishteacher"
Chi

Post by Chi »

Chi wrote:

Apparently the IELTS-changing rationale was that they might have made the exam too hard.
That sounds reasonable.