Overall 8.5, but writing is still 7.0. EOR??

Did you achieve the mark you need? Motivate others by sharing your story.
Haychel

Overall 8.5, but writing is still 7.0. EOR??

Post by Haychel »

Hello everyone!

I believe IELTS has been a pain in the butt for a lot of you, and it still certainly is for me. I have taken the test 6 times now. So much time and money spent on what is easily considered as nothing...

Anyway, I'm trying to attain 8.0 on everything for immigration purpose. It seems like I'm always missing a band or half in either writing or speaking. It's not any different for my most recent test.

My results for the test at 14/03/2015 is L-9.0 R-8.5 W-7.0 S-8.5 Overall-8.5. Do you guys think I should apply for a remark in the hopes that there will be a band increase? I'm aware that if there is a 2-band difference between two categories, they would have already remarked, so that could discourage that option... I guess I would have to take the test again?

For your reference, here are some of my previous test results as well:
10/01/2015 L-9.0 R-9.0 W-7.5 S-7.5 Overall-8.5
06/09/2014 L-9.0 R-8.5 W-7.0 S-8.0 Overall-8.0
12/07/2014 L-9.0 R-8.5 W-7.0 S-7.5 Overall-8.0
12/04/2014 L-8.0 R-9.0 W-7.0 S-8.5 Overall-8.0

If you find any resource useful to perhaps boost my writing score, it would be most appreciated that you post it here! I've read countless tips and model articles. I've also paid an examiner to correct my essays before, but neither of these methods seem to have helped. So yeah, if you could give me any suggestions, I'm all ears! Thank you all so much in advance!
nivea77

Re: Overall 8.5, but writing is still 7.0. EOR??

Post by nivea77 »

We're are in the same boat but you are much ahead of me.

I also need band 8 across all components to be eligible to migrate to Australia. My results are:

8.0/8.0/6.0/8.5 (28/03/15)
8.5/8.0/6.0/8.5 (14/03/15)

I was really distressed after receiving the results this morning to find out my writing hasn't even improved after countless hours of study. I also only focused on writing task 2.

I am sitting for tommorows exam but lost self-confidence and here I am ranting on the web :cry:

Are you also sitting for the exam tommorow?
Haychel

Post by Haychel »

nivea77 wrote:We're are in the same boat but you are much ahead of me.

I also need band 8 across all components to be eligible to migrate to Australia. My results are:

8.0/8.0/6.0/8.5 (28/03/15)
8.5/8.0/6.0/8.5 (14/03/15)

I was really distressed after receiving the results this morning to find out my writing hasn't even improved after countless hours of study. I also only focused on writing task 2.

I am sitting for tommorows exam but lost self-confidence and here I am ranting on the web :cry:

Are you also sitting for the exam tommorow?
No, I am not.

I want to prepare better first, perhaps get another examiner to correct my essays after I have changed my writing style. And don't be too discouraged, writing is the most difficult component in the whole of IELTS exam, after all!

Good luck with your test tomorrow!
IndianHarry

Post by IndianHarry »

Haychel wrote:Hello everyone!

I believe IELTS has been a pain in the butt for a lot of you, and it still certainly is for me. I have taken the test 6 times now. So much time and money spent on what is easily considered as nothing...

Anyway, I'm trying to attain 8.0 on everything for immigration purpose. It seems like I'm always missing a band or half in either writing or speaking. It's not any different for my most recent test.

My results for the test at 14/03/2015 is L-9.0 R-8.5 W-7.0 S-8.5 Overall-8.5. Do you guys think I should apply for a remark in the hopes that there will be a band increase? I'm aware that if there is a 2-band difference between two categories, they would have already remarked, so that could discourage that option... I guess I would have to take the test again?

If you find any resource useful to perhaps boost my writing score, it would be most appreciated that you post it here! I've read countless tips and model articles. I've also paid an examiner to correct my essays before, but neither of these methods seem to have helped. So yeah, if you could give me any suggestions, I'm all ears! Thank you all so much in advance!
That really sucks.I guess we are in the same boat. But I'm pretty sure i'll get an 8 in writing this time. Its the speaking that I am worried about.

I gave exam last year in July with about a month of preparation and got - L-9 R-9 S-7 W-7

The next exam is on 18 April.

P.S don't go for the remarking.
Harry Singh Sra
Skype - harry.5abi
Eugene1989

Post by Eugene1989 »

Hello,

I had written my IELTS for the first time in my life for immigration purpose and i had R-9, L-9, W-8, S-8.5 with an overall band of 8.5.

Knowing my self, i applied for an EOR on both my writing and speaking and it changed to W-8.5 and S-9 making my overall band 9.

This wasn't so important as i had already used my 8.5 result for immigration which was more than enough. I just figured if i could easily get my money back, why not go for it.

In your case you scored pretty well in other skills, i think applying for an EOR for your writing would be a good idea. But you have to bear in mind that it takes about 6 weeks for the process to be completed and chances are your band might not increase, which means you could lose your money.

if you have any problem and would want ideas on how to improve your writing score, don't hesitate to contact me.

Cheers!
Haychel

Post by Haychel »

Eugene1989 wrote:Hello,

I had written my IELTS for the first time in my life for immigration purpose and i had R-9, L-9, W-8, S-8.5 with an overall band of 8.5.

Knowing my self, i applied for an EOR on both my writing and speaking and it changed to W-8.5 and S-9 making my overall band 9.

This wasn't so important as i had already used my 8.5 result for immigration which was more than enough. I just figured if i could easily get my money back, why not go for it.

In your case you scored pretty well in other skills, i think applying for an EOR for your writing would be a good idea. But you have to bear in mind that it takes about 6 weeks for the process to be completed and chances are your band might not increase, which means you could lose your money.

if you have any problem and would want ideas on how to improve your writing score, don't hesitate to contact me.

Cheers!
That is really impressive indeed! I would definitely want to hear your feedback on how to improve on the writing segment.

Writing is proven to be the most difficult department of the whole IELTS test and I've searched all over the Internet, but I have rarely seen anyone who have scored over 8 AND actually share their thoughts. If it is not too much trouble, would it be okay for you to share some of your own techniques or perhaps practicing materials? I'm sure it would be very helpful to everyone!

If you prefer the conversation to be private, you can also contact me via haychelda@gmail.com
Last edited by Haychel on Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haychel

Post by Haychel »

IndianHarry wrote:
Haychel wrote:Hello everyone!

That really sucks.I guess we are in the same boat. But I'm pretty sure i'll get an 8 in writing this time. Its the speaking that I am worried about.

I gave exam last year in July with about a month of preparation and got - L-9 R-9 S-7 W-7

The next exam is on 18 April.

P.S don't go for the remarking.
Good luck on that, Harry! I wish for your success!

I reckon I'm going to write more essays in different styles and get some examiners to mark them for me, so I can figure out what I'm lacking / what IELTS is actually looking for. Then, I will take on the exam again.

Isn't it sad though? For some people, they can perfectly communicate with local people, but that is not what is considered by the IELTS test. As most of my friends said, it's not about how good your English is or how practically you can use English, but how well you can crack open IELTS...

But I digress, yeah, best of luck!!