Yes! I have achieved the desired score.

Did you achieve the mark you need? Motivate others by sharing your story.
artha

Yes! I have achieved the desired score.

Post by artha »

I took the test on 26th October. I needed overall band score of 7 with no less than 6.5 in any one area and I am elated to tell you all that I have got an overall score of 8! :D Individually, I got 8 in Listening, 8.5 in Reading, and 7.5 in both Writing and Speaking sections.

I registered for the test 5 weeks prior to the test and started preparing around that time. Everyday I solved practice papers. Being a member of local British Council library really helped me in getting loads of practice material. In particular, I practiced the reading and listening sections very well. Everyday I would finish, at the least, one listening section and one reading section. I think by the time I took the test I should have done 125-150 listening tasks and over 100 reading tasks! Also, some of the practice papers I solved were slightly more difficult than the IELTS level. I think, practicing with difficult listening and reading tasks can help you in improving the comprehension and speed for the actual test. One more thing, I strictly adhered to time while practicing. As a result during actual test I found I could finish before time and had some time left for revision.

Finally, I think I could have done better in my writing task 2. My writing was not tidy. Also I guess, I could practiced writing few more essays. I think during preparation I wrote 12 task 2 essays. In speaking, I did all right, but I messed up a little bit in Part 2, where you have to talk for a minute or two. I did not realise before the test that 2 minutes can be such a long time! I had to describe my favourite season. It seemed to me I have described everything important but the examiner (through hand gestures ) indicated I should talk more! To my horror, this happened twice during the Part 2 task :shock: . So test takers, from my experience, I'll advice you not to take Part 2 lightly (as I had done ;) ) and practice it beforehand.

All in all, after taking the test I was reasonably confident about scoring 7. Now that I have actually scored 8 I feel very satisfied. The work I put in has been meaningful :) . Of course this forum, YouTube channels dedicated to IELTS - both Ryan's and others, and several other websites on grammar and IELTS related resources helped a lot. I want to thank all of them for the help they provided me and i want to wish all future IELTS test takers a very best of luck.
Ryan

Re: Yes! I have achieved the desired score.

Post by Ryan »

Excellent news! Thank you for sharing your experience and study strategies.

I particularly liked this little bit:
artha wrote:I think by the time I took the test I should have done 125-150 listening tasks and over 100 reading tasks!
:shock:

(I don't think anyone will argue that you don't deserve that band 8!)

If you get a moment, please consider sharing the other online resources/YouTube channels you used to prepare.

Good luck with your future endeavors!