Dropping the are in informal, spoken American English

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
sinhasiha

Dropping the are in informal, spoken American English

Post by sinhasiha »

ImageNha Khoa Nhân Tâm TpHCM đang từng bước khẳng định uy tín của mình trong lòng khách hàng. Với phương châm "Lấy chữ Tâm làm đầu", toàn thể nha sĩ và đội ngũ nhân viên nha khoa chúng tôi luôn mong muốn mang lại những dịch vụ nha khoa tốt nhất, đáp ứng nhu cầu của từng khách hàng.
I have a question about informal, spoken American english.

To me sometimes it seems like in informal english the are is dropped in questions. Instead of "are you having a good time" it's just "you having a good time?" or "are you gonna buy that?" - "you gonna buy that?" or "are you sure?" - "you sure?" I wonder if it's true or if they actually just say "you're having a good time?" - "you're gonna buy that?" - "you're sure?"

The reson I'm asking this is also because I think I know that in the negative forms the are wouldn't be dropped. It would be "you're not having a good time?" -"you're not gonna buy that?" - "you're not sure?"

I hope my question is clear enough, anyway thanks already for helping me with this!
Teacher

Re: Dropping the are in informal, spoken American English

Post by Teacher »

Dear Sinhasiha
Yes, spoken American English frequently drops the initial Are in questions and uses intonation (rising at the end) to indicate it's a question. And you are quite right, in the negative, the are isn't dropped, just contracted to You're.
Kind regards
Teacher Jill
sinhasiha

Re: Dropping the are in informal, spoken American English

Post by sinhasiha »

thank Teacher